Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Shoot! Dead Digital Camera. AGAIN.

Aw man. The lens isn't retracting back into the body. When it's turned on, the motor whirs but nothing happens. Worse yet, the LCD is completely black even in Setup and Playback modes.

All three of my digital cameras have died on me...

1. Sony DSC-F505V
Bought: 2000, Summer
Died: 2003, Spring
This was my first camera. No really. I never was really into picture taking, but I got this b/c I wanted to take lots of pictures w/ my new g/f. I thought the big honking rotating lens was pretty cool.

BTW, that g/f was G and we got engaged that summer and married a year later!


2. Sony DSC-F717
Bought: 2003, Spring
Died: 2007, Spring
We'd just had our 1st baby, M, and the F505V wasn't functioning properly. Sometimes the LCD would freeze up, or the pictures were all messed up. We had to get a new camera as we were just missing too many shots of Baby M.

The F717 is still my favorite camera of the three. Great resolution at the time and it shot pretty fast. I didn't mind that it was big. Actually I thought it was an asset as it had a big battery. After taking lots of shots, even with flash, the battery would last. With smaller cameras which had tiny batteries, when the battery drained down, the autofocus would become sooooooo sloooooooow.

We hadn't used this for a while b/c G used the Canon Elph b/c of it's portability. Earlier this year, when I fired this baby up, the LCD screen displayed a jumble of stuff. I'm holding out hope this can be recovered, but it's not looking good.

3. Canon PowerShot SD500 DIGITAL ELPH
Bought: 2005, December
Dead: 2007, August

We got this camera b/c the F717 was too bulky for G to lug around in the diaper bag. By now we had 2 boys- a 3 and a 1 y.o. So this was G's Christmas present that year.

Great thing was the portability and the 7 Megapixels. Plus it used SD cards and not expensive MemoryStick. But the small battery drained fast, hence the autofocus speed faded. Overall, this camera was in fact harder to shoot with. It was just too slow.

So... now what? I want a Nikon DSLR, but don't want to spend the money right now. My dad just got the D40, which he really likes. Maybe I'll borrow his old Sony compact camera... hope that one doesn't bite the dust on me too.

1 comment:

Rose said...

You crack me up! How do you go through so many cameras?! Can't help you with finding another one. Although there are many advantages to using digital cameras, I'm still using a non-digital one (we do have a digital camera that's great though, Olympus SP-700). The Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 170 QD that I use have better zoom, the photos come out clearer, and it's very simple to use... as long as they still sell film! Sort of explains why my car is over 20 years old! What someone in your family NEEDS to do is to take up scrapbooking to preserve all the photos you take along with the stories! And that's my sales pitch of the day. :-)

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks