Monday, February 11, 2008

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 15" Widescreen

I finally got around to replacing the good 'ol T42, which is still in perfect condition, with a brand new Lenovo (bye Big Blue, hello Big Red) T61. IBM logo is gone. The T42 was 6 months out of a 3 year warranty and if anything happened to it that'd be it- IT won't support it.

So I've had the T61 for almost 2 months now...

The first impression is that it's thick and heavy. Carrying the bare laptop around (no case), it just feels bulky. The T42 size to weight ratio was so awesome, but I wanted more screen real estate so went w/ a 15" Widescreen which is the same height as the T42 LCD, but is wider. The screen is brilliant- like the T42's when it was brand new. The T42 screen is dim by comparison now.

Also, b/c of the size+weight, I realized that on family vacations the T42 will be the one tagging along since it's smaller+lighter. Usually this is just to Web surf a little bit and to offload pictures from camera memory cards each night. Then again, our Nikon D40 uses SD, which is so cheap now. Buying an 8Gb SD card would be worth not having to lug a laptop along. And for the Web, G has the iPhone. So, maybe the T42 will be keeping the T61 company now when we're away.

Design Issue #1:
Upon opening the lid, the bottom of the machine tipped up- the hinge is too tight! Need a lower static coefficient of friction there. My manager had the same problem on his new T61 14" LCD std. aspect ratio.

Design Issue #2:
Open lid. Screen turns on. Scan fingerprint to login. Screen turns off. WHAT? Hmm.
Close lid. Open lid. Screen turns on. OK now ready to work. Whew.
The fingerprint reader could be a little snappier.

I thought it was funny that you have to save at least two different fingerprint scans. You know, in case the Triads cut off one of them.

Battery life is amazing. The T42 was not Centrino, so the battery life was not so good. The T61 is Centrino Pro. So even w/ a 15" LCD cranked all the way up, Bluetooth and WiFi on, and NVIDIA graphics (not Intel bulit-in) and using only a 6 cell battery (doesn't protrude out the back like the 9 cell) plus the extra Adv. Ultra Bay battery, this baby lasts a loooong time.

Gripe: The docking connector on the T60/T61 is different from the T42. So my old docking station won't work. I think this is just a big ploy by Big Red to make Big Green by making us buy new docking stations, which aren't cheap btw.

Gripe: The power connector has changed too. Mo' Big Green.

The T61 shipped w/ Vista, but my Co. is still on XP. So IT had to wipe the drive and image XP. I wonder if that's why there are some software glitches.

Aside from the minor gripes, I'm thankful to have a brand new company issued laptop to use. Now G can use the T42 at home.

2 comments:

William said...

Thanks for posting this. I've got a trusty T42 that I need to upgrade, and this was really helpful.

The power connector thing kills me! I've got like 4 power supplies for the T42, and I love having one every place I use my laptop.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered this on July 3 for college and I've found a lot of mix reviews. All I really want it for though is just to play some games, type up a few papers, and surf the internet. So I'm pretty anxious to get it, every time I see the UPS truck I sit by the door waiting, hoping he'll stop, but it'll still be a couple weeks.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks