Friday, June 15, 2007

Sony GDM-FW900 Flat Widescreen 24" FD Trinitron CRT Monitor

I was juuuuuuuust on my way outta work for the weekend and was cleaning out my cubical a bit. Today's the last "Clean & Beautiful" day where they put out drop points around the building so we can dump the junk that accumulates. I rolled out an old 17" CRT monitor and finally got rid of a bunch of Amazon shipping boxes that was a fire hazard under my desk.

Just as I was about to go, my manager says I should scavenge to see if I could find a monitor to upgrade my current setup. At my cube, the ThinkPad (2373 9ZU) is usually docked; using it as my main screen since it runs 1400x1050 resolution. It also drives a 19" Dell LCD, maxes out at 1280x1024, which is an extended desktop so I can drag windows between the two screens.

Along the main corridor there must have been 15 CRT monitors that people removed from their cubes- NEC, Sun, Sony etc. I didn't think I'd find anything, but then I spied this bad boy-

Sony GDM-FW900 Flat Widescreen 24" FD Trinitron CRT Monitor

  • 22.5-inch viewable screen
  • 2,304 x 1,440 maximum resolution
  • 0.27-millimeter dot pitch
  • PC and Macintosh compatible
  • Virtually flat viewing surface
More technical details at the bottom.

So my manager and I heaved the behemoth onto a chair w/out armrests and rolled it to my office. I was amazed that it was there for the taking and secondly that it appears to be in perfect working condition.

Anyways, this will probably be the main screen now w/ the laptop screen as the extension. At that resolution, the text is tiny. Plus I'm horrible at adjusting these things... any volunteers? For some reason, when I change my desktop settings (i.e. single screen to extended desktop) the image the laptop is sending doesn't fill the screen and it doesn't keep the settings where I stretched and centered the image.

BTW, I'm looking for the user manual online. No luck so far.

On a side note, the ThinkPad's 80Gb HD is really flaky. When the machine turns on/wakes-up the HD doesn't spin up. Uh-oh. I had to play w/ the power button quite a while tonight to get a vital file from it. Anyways, at least it's still under the 3yr extended warranty. This is actually a good thing- IBM will send someone out to replace it with a refurb HD (better than nothing). And since the warranty is up this September, I'll be getting a new Lenovo ThinkPad T61 (Santa Rosa)! Fortunately, we're still getting XP Pro, not Vista.

Sony GDM-FW900 Flat Widescreen 24" FD Trinitron CRT Monitor Additional Technical Details


  • Compatibility: PC and Macintosh
  • Display type: Color CRT
  • Display size: 24 inches
  • Diagonal viewable screen size: 22.5 inches
  • Dot/pixel pitch: 0.23 to 0.27 millimeter
  • Glass surface: High-contrast AR coating
  • Power Requirements: 90-264V AC, 50/60 Hz
  • Input signals: Analog RGB 0.7 V-pp, positive, 75 ohm, separate sync HS/DV TTL, composite sync, sync-on-green 0.3 Vp-p, negative
  • Input connector and cable: 15-pin mini D-sub, 5BNC
  • Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 2,304 x 1,440
  • Maximum refresh rate: 160 Hz
  • Horizontal frequency: 30 to 121 kHz
  • Vertical frequency: 48 to 160 Hz
  • Maximum display area: 482 by 308 millimeters (18.9 by 12.1 inches)
  • Power on-off: Yes
  • Contrast: Yes
  • Brightness: Yes
  • Horizontal and vertical position: Yes
  • Horizontal and vertical size: Yes
  • Color temperature: Yes
  • Language select: Yes
  • Display frequency: Yes
  • Horizontal and vertical moire: Yes
  • Pincushion: Yes
  • Pin-balance: Yes
  • Degauss: Yes
  • Trapezoid: Yes
  • Parallelogram: Yes
  • Rotation: Yes
  • Width: 22.5 inches
  • Height: 19.7 inches
  • Depth: 20.6 inches
  • Weight: 92.6 pounds
  • Parts: 3 years
  • Labor: 3 years

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks