Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Filled with the Holy Spirit

This past Sunday, our church had a farewell party for DF and family. I had the honor of sharing a few words on be-half of the church. Just the day before, I got to spend precious time w/ Swan and his family! As I began writing the farewell to DF Saturday evening, it occurred to me to use the concepts learned from "How to Study the Bible" sessions: Observations/Context/Content/Conversation. As well, in the Hebrew Scriptures we saw many examples of chiastic structure, so I threw that in as well.

I opened with some observations, but then got to the chiastic part. Here's my outline of that section:

A = Blessed to have a wonderful founding pastor in Sonny.

B = Sonny concluded his ministry at Hope in 2005.
C = Anytime a pastor moves on it is hard on the ministry, and even harder at a personal level.
D = Loved Pastor Sonny and his family.
E = How could we find a pastor and his family that we’d love just as much?
F = 2005 outlook was rotating guest speakers- not ideal for the teaching ministry.
G = End of 2005, the Lord brought the answer: guy w/ a weird name with his loving wife, and amazing children.
F' = 2006/2007 outlook- 3x/month consistency through books of the OT, then the NT.
E' = How did we find a pastor and his family whom we love so very much?
D' = Love Dorman and his family.
C' = What joy to find our pastor, but, now, it is hard to part ways as God is re-directing.
B' = Dorman concludes his ministry this year, 2007. But it goes on…
A' = Blessed to have Dorman be our pastor.

As I reviewed my outline, it struck me how hard it is to remember where I am in the structure when actually speaking without glancing at my notes!
My central point is that it is the Lord that brings the pastor to His church.

Then I re-called the first sermon delivered by the apostle Peter in the book of Acts, Acts 2:14-36, which DF outlined* for us in his sermon. Peter's sermon is a 10 point chiastic w/ the tenth ('J') point repeated:

J = that He(Jesus) was not abandoned to Hades.
J' = nor did His flesh see corruption

So the main point of Peter's sermon is that Jesus' death on the cross was not final, but that he resurrected!

In my head, I knew Peter was filled with the Spirit but now I know it in my heart. Just a week before, Peter cowered in fear. Now, he not only spoke boldly, but spoke in an incredibly structured way to highlight the central point, and the sermon was on-the-fly: he had no notes, and no preparation! I wonder if it even occurred to Peter at that moment that his sermon was in chiastic form. Filled with the Holy Spirit, indeed!

References:
* Outline of Acts 2:14-36 is from Poet & Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes pg 65,66. Dr. Kenneth Bailey.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks